Sunday, November 30, 2014

Shor- Empowering Education (Hyperlinks post)

This week while reading Empowering Education, I found it to be very interesting. I decided to do a hyper links post, because I thought there would be a fair amount of information on the topic. Just from the title I thought it would have something to do with the way a teacher ran or taught their class. After getting into it I found that Shor’s main topic was, that teachers need to not just teach but to get kids critically thinking and analyzing problems not just memorizing what they were told. I went on to look up critical thinking andanalyzing problems and got a page that defined it gave some tips in how to better your skills at it. I think that at it may be something that would be of value to touch base on in a classroom. I also found a quote that really ties into this, "This would set a questioning tone and show the children that you trust them and that they are intelligent enough at their own level, to investigate and come up with answers” (11). This quote connects to Shor’s main idea because it seems like his point is that student’s shouldn’t be so passive when it comes to their education, they should want to be actively involved in what they are learning. And educators should be willing to acknowledge that students have this ability to critically think about their education and let them do so.
Ira Shor 

The next link that I found is a blog from an elementary school teacher who uses the blog as “A website for teachers to use as a tool to incorporate critical pedagogy in their classrooms.”, another topic of Shor’s.


The final link I decide to include is City University of New York’s web page for Ira Shor. The page includes his research interests, specializations, and selected publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment